dimecres, 29 d’abril del 2009

Another dialogue: VIOLA'S BOAT, NIGHT

EXT. THE RIVER. VIOLA'S BOAT. NIGHT. WILL turns back to VIOLA. They have their conversation intimately, disregarding the lack of intimacy. The BOATMAN is hardly an arm's length away, but they ignore him.

WILL She tells me to keep away. She is to marry Lord Wessex. What should I do?
VIOLA AS THOMAS If you love her, you must do what she asks.
WILL And break her heart and mine?
VIOLA AS THOMAS It is only ours you can know.
WILL She loves me, Thomas!
VIOLA AS THOMAS Does she say so?
WILL No. And yet she does where the ink has run with tears. Was she weeping when she gave you this?
VIOLA AS THOMAS I... Her letter came to me by the nurse.
WILL Your aunt? VIOLA AS THOMAS (catching up) Yes, my aunt. But perhaps she wept a little. Tell me how you love her, Will.
WILL Like a sickness and its cure together.
VIOLA AS THOMAS Yes, like rain and sun, like cold and heat. (collecting herself) Is your lady beautiful? Since I came to visit from the country, I have not seen her close. Tell me, is she beautiful?
WILL Oh, if I could write the beauty of her eyes! I was born to look in them and know myself. He is looking into
VIOLA'S eyes. She holds his look, but WILL belies his words.
VIOLA AS THOMAS And her lips?
WILL Oh, Thomas, her lips! The early morning rose would wither on the branch, if it could feel envy!
VIOLA AS THOMAS And her voice? Like lark song?
WILL Deeper. Softer. None of your twittering larks! I would banish nightingales from her garden before they interrupt her song.
VIOLA AS THOMAS She sings too?
WILL Constantly. Without doubt. And plays the lute, she has a natural ear. And her bosom -- did I mention her bosom?
VIOLA AS THOMAS (glinting) What of her bosom?
WILL Oh Thomas, a pair of pippins! As round and rare as golden apples!

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada